Uggs, we love em, we hate em, we love to hate em. Whatever your standpoint is regarding the world’s most discussed boots, they are hot.
Both in literal and metaphorical sense. As with all types of footwear that provide a warm, moist environment, sweaty feet are a result.
Do you too have smelly feet in your Uggs? And are you looking for a cure? I bet you do because you don’t want to discard your beloved woolly boots don’t you?
Well here’s what you can do to combat the bad odor your feet and Uggs may produce.
“My feet were so hot, they were soaking. “
Ugg boots are praised because they are so comfortable and warm. But oftentimes they are too warm.
Wet Uggs Make Stinky Uggs
Ugg boots are not waterproof (In Australia, where the popularity of these boots originated, they are only worn indoors)
Because of this water can go inside, for example on rainy days or when stepping into a puddle. When the water goes inside, bacteria can grow which leads to smell.
So avoid as much as possible getting your Uggs wet. If they did get wet, make sure to dry them well before wearing them again. Or use waterproof protective spray for Uggs.
When wet, they may also cause athletics foot, or another type of foot fungus to occur.
“fungus breeds in dark, wet environments – conditions that are usually seen inside the trendy sheepskin boots.”
The Ugg Boot Socks or No Socks Controversy
The Australian manufacturer recommends to wear Uggs without socks, as is advertised on the box. But we all know what happens with bare feet in footwear, sweat and foul odor ensue.
Fake, synthetic wool “Uggs” smell way more than genuine real lambswool Uggs
Important! Wear socks in your Uggs
Do always wear socks in your Uggs if your feet are sweaty. Cotton socks (at least 80%) absorb sweat and foot odor. There are however, better socks.
Socks will also prevent some of the bacteria from nesting in the wool lining inside the boots. If your socks are thin, wear two pairs.
There exists controversy around whether you should wear socks in your Uggs or not. You should however wear socks. It is claimed that because they are sheepskin that breathes you don’t have to wear socks but this is BS.
You will know if you walked the talk and ended up with very sweaty feet.
So repeat after me, I shall wear socks in my Uggs.
The cure for smelly Ugg feet
To effectively treat smelly feet in your Uggs you must decrease the bacteria already living in your boots.
Sprinkle baking soda in the boots to kill bacteria and simultaneously remove odors.
Wash them how you normally wash them. Make sure to dry them properly. Use rolled up newspapers to hasten the drying process and remove lingering odors.
After washing your Uggs, use this spray. It’s magic. Spray it in your fluffy boots and make sure to reach all the way in the front.
Rocket Pure Natural Shoe Deodorizer is basically a foot spray you can use on footwear too. The blend of essential oils it contains make it truly powerful stuff.
How to get the smell out of your Uggs
- put a bag, clean nylon sock, or little box with baking soda inside and let it sit over a night
- you can also use activated charcoal in a similar way
- or, use an ultraviolet shoe sanitizer
- if you sweat a lot you will want to ensure they dry out well in between. Boot dryers remove moist within a few hours.
- wash your feet with an antibacterial soap
- put baby powder over your feet before wearing the boots, it can help to dry up and absorb the sweat
- use odor eater inserts, they can make a huge difference
- put Bounce dryer sheets in them and air dry them (fabric softener towels that you put in the dryer)
- spray the inside with Oust
- change the inserts as often as possible
- use cedar soles or other well reviewed insoles
- leave them outside to air out after you have worn them
- rotate wearing shoes, there should be at least 24 hours between wearing in order to let them air out. If you want to wear Uggs every day, buy another pair to rotate.
- if you want to use a antiperspirant, use a hypo-allergenic antiperspirant
If your UGGs’ insoles have had a tough life you may want to replace them with new ones. Amazon offers sheepskin insoles replacements for UGGs and other footwear. Not all of them are original UGG liners yet many are backed with a rubber insole similar to original Ugg boots.
Share your experiences
Do you have smelly feet in your Uggs? Try these solutions and let us know if it works. Still have Ugh feet? Click here for more smelly feet cures.